The third Civic Voice Convention and AGM was held in Coventry on 19th and 20th October attended by over 100 delegates from all parts of England. Marple Civic Society (MCS) was represented by Gillian Postill, Alan Postill and Arthur Procter. The two day event included tours of the city to view historic sites and more recent developments on “brownfield” sites.
- there will be change - that is certain - and we should not resist change per se
- the current economic downturn will end but there will be others in the future
- there are many voices taking part in the economic debate including powerful commercial interests who are not concerned about the interests of local communities
- the present government’s (short term) view is to build its way out of the recession
- the civic movement should not be specifically interested in (or sidetracked by) short term solutions. We should identify our priorities and make sure our voice is heard.
|Reception at St Mary's Guildhall, Coventry|
|Delegates at Work!|
|Grif Delivering |
|Gillian Receiving Civic Voice Award |
on Behalf of Marple Civic Society
More photos photos by
Arthur Procter here